Monday, July 31, 2006

Babies Everywhere!

As you know in my previous post "Gift Scam of the Century," 99% of my friends are now married. The natural progression of time calls for one thing...babies!

When my friends started having kids I had no clue what to get them. Something sentimental or the hipster present? For some reason, I thought living in Los Angeles automatically lined me up to give some sort of "unique" gift. Black & white crib mobiles (b&w supposedly stimulates a baby's brain), Rolling Stones onsies, Kitson Kids over priced junk...when it hit me. What I remember most from my childhood are the beautifully illustrated classic books that my mother kept safely on a very high shelf...and so the book buying and book gifting began.

I usually package 2-4 books together with a little note about how they inspired me as a little girl...oh, and be sure to ask for a gift certificate so moms can make an easy exchange if your choice is already a part of their collection.

Here are some of my favorite new and old books for the little ones in your life...
Where the Wild Things are
The Giving Tree
Velveteen Rabbit
The Snow Queen
Make Way for Ducklings
Rapunzel
Madeline
Where the Sidewalk Ends
Corduroy
If you want to splurge...The World of Peter Rabbit box set

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pooh?

Pooh!

Don't forget the A.A. Milne classic "Winnie–the–Pooh" - complete with wonderful illustrations by Ernest Shepard.

"Here is Edward Bear, coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head, behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he know, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there really is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it. And then he feels that perhaps there isn't. Anyhow, here he is at the bottom, and ready to be introduced to you. Winnie-the-Pooh."